Typically I make a list of my top items and begin rating candidates on their agenda against my list. The candidate who has the agenda that most closely matches my agenda gets my vote. I list the usual agenda items like foreign policy, economic growth, debt issues, etc. Its not very scientific, but it works for me. For 2012, the candidates who receive my vote:
- Will NOT have received substantial contributions from gas, coal or oil companies, recently or over their career.
- Will openly acknowledge that human activity directly contributes to climate change.
- Will clearly state a high level (or detailed strategy) to move the US into clean energy.
- Will acknowledge the importance of the Endangered Species Act and not accept any attempts to weaken it.
- Will state a high level plan to reduce the toxins that are introduced into our food supply.