Sunday, May 29, 2011

To Potential 2012 Candidates

The potential 2012 candidates are beginning to position themselves, so I thought I'd get a jump on the polls.

Typically I make a list of my top items and begin rating candidates on their agenda against my list. The candidate who has the agenda that most closely matches my agenda gets my vote.  I list the usual agenda items like foreign policy, economic growth, debt issues, etc.  Its not very scientific, but it works for me.  For 2012, the candidates who receive my vote:
  1. Will NOT have received substantial contributions from gas, coal or oil companies, recently or over their career.
  2. Will openly acknowledge that human activity directly contributes to climate change.
  3. Will clearly state a high level (or detailed strategy) to move the US into clean energy.
  4. Will acknowledge the importance of the Endangered Species Act and not accept any attempts to weaken it.
  5. Will state a high level plan to reduce the toxins that are introduced into our food supply.
I know it might be complex in the details, but I think my list is pretty short.  I'm not asking for too much, simply environmental stewardship and protection of our civilization from dangerous chemicals.  The other issues are important and can still be addressed, they're just not on my list.

Just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment